February 01, 2005

New Years Resolutions

I don't normally make new years resolutions, as generally, I can't think of any. In the past, there's not really been much that I'd wanted to change about my life, and certainly nothing that I'd bother making a resolution about. I quite often have health kicks, or exercise fads during the year, but any resolution making tends to be done around October with the start of term.

I didn't do that this year, mostly because I was too busy trying to find out how to register and get my grant, and when I'm supposed to be where. Having classes to teach as well as to take with no visible timetable for either makes the start of term far too busy and stressful to worry about how I'm going to work my life this year. I decided I'd figure things out after I had a timetable for the term, but that never really happened.

As a result, I have signed on for the gym and never been, so in an effort to justify the use of my hard earned pennies on such an extravagant spend, I have decided to participate in the time honoured ritual of setting goals to hopelessly fail to achieve for more than 2 weeks of the coming year. Except that, as usual, I'm a bit late.

I can easily justify my lateness in this matter. January first is a rather foolish time to expect any major lifestyle changes. It's in the middle of the party season, and so any cut down on excesses are unlikely. This year, I was in Edinburgh for the Street Party, so any thoughts of healthy eating, gym visits or other such unlikely events would have to be put off until my return home anyway. If you combine that with the fact that I couldn't decide on any sort of schedule or organisation for next term, as I have only just now got my timetable, I have been unable to make any decent plans for the year, until now.

So it would seem today is the perfect day for goal setting and time planning. Eeeek. Here we go.

I will go to the Gym twice a week.

This term I have a fairly sparse timetable. Other than the usual seminars, I only have one tutorial weekly, and one bi-weekly lab session. Most of my work is either marking or my own research, which I can organise around things like gym visits. So I can fit in a 2-hour break on Thursday afternoons (assuming I pass my driving test), and then in 2 weeks time on Tuesday afternoons as well (I have 2 lectures I want to attend this week and next).

I will eat more fruit.

This shouldn't be too hard, as I currently eat none at all. I hate buying fruit, as I always suspect that it's going to go off sneakily behind my back, before I have a chance to eat it. And it never seems worth buying small amounts, as they get finished straight away. So I'm not entirely sure how this one is gong to work, but I suspect that it will involve nipping across to the union shop during my morning break, and buying 3 pieces of fruit to snack on throughout the day. We'll see tomorrow, I'm already on my third banana today.

I will do more work.

Probably the most important of these resolutions. As we got further into winter, last term, I found myself less and less motivated to do work. I really struggled to get into my office and do the weeks reading, and I found myself becoming bored with the book I was studying from, and generally un-inclined to do anything productive. This term has been somewhat better. I've moved on to the next book, which I'm actually finding really interesting, and have even managed to do some work on trains, which means I'm not really taking 4-day weekends every time I go to visit my Boyfriend. I've put this third, as I'm hoping that the exercise and fruit eating will help me with my work by improving my general health, and therefore my mood. That and the fact that Summer's coming back!

I will make the effort to be nice to everybody.

I've already started on this one, by coaching somebody I wouldn't normally bother with at Archery last night. This is mainly because I would like to be Captain of the Archery Club next year, and I think part of the position is as a liaison for the club committee with the ordinary members, so this means I really need to start being nice to them. It's more difficult than you'd think. I have a sharp sense of humour at times, and a tendency to expect a high level of general competence from people around me. These traits combined make me come across as scary to people who don't know me, which is something I really need to work on.



I could go on adding things to this list forever, but I need somewhere to start. It's a bad idea to make too many changes all in one go, as you'll never keep up with them. Even the ones above I'll add in gradually, work more this week and try to buy fruit a couple of days, and then add in the gym one day, with more fruit buying next week. The last one will most likely be an ongoing project. I'll consider it a success if I manage to reduce my scariness levels somewhat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home